This blog has moved to www.mscroggs.co.uk.

Sunday 22 June 2014

Sunday Afternoon Maths XVIII

Here's this week's collection. Answers & extensions tomorrow. Why not discuss the problems on Twitter using #SundayAfternoonMaths or on Reddit.

Parabola

On a graph of \(y=x^2\), two lines are drawn at \(x=a\) and \(x=-b\) (for \(a,b>0\). The points where these lines intersect the parabola are connected.
What is the y-coordinate of the point where this line intersects the y-axis?

Seven Digits

"I'm thinking of a number. I've squared it. I've squared the square. And I've multiplied the second square by the original number. So I now have a number of seven digits whose final digit is a 7," said Dr. Dingo to his daughter.
Can you work out Dr. Dingo's number?

1 comment:

  1. Answer to 7 digits: Dr. Dingo's Number is 17

    Magical Methods
    http://www.magicalmethods.com

    ReplyDelete